Wednesday, June 29, 2011

RAGNAR? Yikes!

I mentioned a while back that I've taken up running a little bit.  Well, I don't know if you could really call it running.  It's more like jogging at slightly more than a snail's pace compared to people who are real, true blue "runners".  I usually run 2 to 3 times a week and average between 2 and 4 miles per run.  
Well, a guy in our ward does quite a bit of running and put together a team for the Las Vegas RAGNAR relay race in October.  I think I must be crazy, because I decided to be on it!  This is where the "Yikes!" from the title comes in.  
So, what is a RAGNAR relay?  It's a very long relay race, 188 miles.  This one is from Lake Mead to Las Vegas.  Each team has 12 runners and each runner does 3 legs of the race.  When you're not running, you're in a van with your teammates.  I've been assured that there are legs of the race that are easy/moderate and between 5 to 8 miles that I can do.  If you want to learn more about the RAGNAR, you can go to the Las Vegas RAGNAR website. 
They have a suggested training schedule that I'm following and I'm excited about this adventure, but I have to admit that I'm a little freaked out.  I've never done anything like this before and I'm a bit surprised at myself for agreeing to it.  But there's no backing out now and I don't want to anyway. So wish me luck! 
 

6 comments:

Cary and James said...

I did Ragnar New England last year and have both good and bad things to say about it. Overall though it's an experience I'm glad I have under my belt. Just don't expect to get a lot of sleep and bring lots of snacks for yourself and your teammates. Hopefully you don't mind running in the dark and train a little extra because the chances that you'll actually end up running only 5-8 miles are pretty slim. But it is fun! And at the end you get a pretty awesome medal. I can't wait to hear more! You can check out our team video here: http://youtu.be/Ex3ZgXwoWtA

Good luck! xo

The Barnum Family said...

Thanks Cary. We haven't assigned legs of the course yet, but I think I'll be doing one that has three different runs of about 5 to 8 or 9 miles each, so my total will be much more than just 5 to 8. Thanks for the tips. I figure I won't sleep much and I plan to get in some night runs in my training. I've heard it's a lot harder than it sounds, but like you said, I think it will be a good experience to have.
I'll be sure to keep you posted!

Unknown said...

How fun! I did a relay just like that in Portland. It was 186 miles with 12 teammates and we had a blast! And really, the important thing is that youre running. Im sure your not that slow. I run 10 minute miles, and that's after 2 years of consistant running. Youll soon start enjoying it more.. It gets addicting!

So im assuming Mark put it together? Does your team need anyone else? I would love to do it with parkside warders and see las vegas again let me know!

Grandma Lolly said...

I know you can do whatever you make up your mind to do and that every worthwhile experience adds to your growth and character. Let me know what I can do to support you in this. Love you!

The Barnum Family said...

Thanks for the support! Erika, check with Mark to see if there are any spots left. It would be so fun to have you on the team!

Kandis said...

I'm scared and nervous too. But I am excited to be on your team though :)