Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Camping with the Culbertsons

The first weekend in August, the kids and I went camping up by Strawberry Reservoir with my mom, my sister Sarah, and my brother Jake.  Nate couldn't join us because of work.  We stayed 2 nights.  The kids had a good time, aside from Jonah's middle-of-the-night bloody nose. That was anything but fun.
  As for me, well you probably already know how I feel about camping in the first place (not a fan).  Now remind yourself that I'm pregnant, exhausted, and having to pee every hour or so and then I'm sure you can guess how much I enjoyed it.  (Sorry Mom, I'm just not a camper, but I went anyway.  See how much I love you? =)). 
I'll spare you the play by play of everything we did and just share some pictures and highlights. 
Ready to do some fishing in the reservoir!

Lilly and Jayne had a great time playing in the sand and the water.  Lilly built a castle with a moat. 

Jake brought his dog Kirby along.  Lilly took him for a walk on the beach. 

Grandma Laurie and Jayne doing some fishing. 


Jonah loved fishing!  He got pretty good at casting out his line.  Sadly, we didn't catch anything, but it wasn't for lack of trying.

Aunt Sarah made these "safari" hats for the kids and put together a sort of treasure hunt for them. 

Roasting hot dogs on the fire.

My 'Mother of the Year' moment.  After a few hours of sitting in the sun fishing, I realized that while I had dutifully slathered both of the girls in SPF 50, somehow I completely forgot to put any sunscreen on Jonah!  Poor kid was fried!  It was even darker the next day.  My mom had to go down to the docks and buy some aloe from the little shop there.  Luckily it didn't blister, just peeled.  
I asked Jayne what she was doing right before I took this picture and she said, "I just need to relax here for a minute Mom. This is very relaxing."  Not sure how that can possibly be relaxing, but she seemed to be enjoying it. 

So we survived another camping trip.  Maybe next time we can do camping my style, in a hotel or cabin or something like that.   ;)

No comments: