Saturday, February 13, 2010

Discovery

First of all, let me say that I have no idea why this is all underlined and I can't figure out how to get it to not be underlined, so we'll all just have to live with it for now.

Yesterday I woke up feeling ambitious. I decided that I would take the kids somewhere fun. We've all been cooped up since Christmas because we've all been sick and poor Jonah has been off track at school for three weeks and hasn't been able to get out and do anything exciting.
Now, the reason that this is ambitious for me is that I don't usually take all three of my kids out by myself unless we're going grocery shopping or to the park or maybe McDonald's. But yesterday I decided that we would go to the Discovery Children's Museum at the Gateway. We've never been there before and I thought the kids would like it.

The kids were excited when we got there and had a good time. It was really crowded! Way too many kids in one place for my liking and the adult supervision was sadly minimal. I was amazed by the number of moms who had brought their kids and then were sitting in the corner talking with their other mom friends and not once even looking up to see where their kids were or what they were doing. This made for lots of chaos and a few tears from Jonah when kids would take things away from him or wreck something he built or just be mean. Their moms were nowhere to be found.

Anyway....the kids did have some fun. Jonah liked the water area and the beehive, which is a big contraption with tubes and a million ways to make little plastic balls go through the tubes and into different containers. Lilly's favorite was the play house. She liked to play in the kitchen and plant flowers in the windowbox. Jayne had a great time going up and down the stairs in the beehive area.

We only stayed for about an hour. The kids were getting frustrated with all the other kids not playing nice and it was getting to be lunch time. So we headed home. Jonah told me that he did not want to go back there ever again. I hate to say it, but I agree. I felt like it was overpriced(kids and adults are all 8.50, including Jayne) and too many parents weren't paying attention to their kids. I was definitely disappointed. They have a lot of neat exhibits and things for the kids to do, but they require parent supervision and interaction, which I guess most of these moms were just too busy gossiping with their buddies to provide. Next time, we'll just hit the aquarium or the park.

I did get a couple pictures....

Jayne kept wanting to climb into this wheelbarrow

Jonah playing in the water area

Jayne navigating the stairs

Lilly planting flowers in the window box.

1 comment:

Ishihara Family said...

I love that place but you have to go during the week when your kids are off track. We went just a couple weeks ago and there were only a handfull of kids! No fun when the kidos can't play with the toys!