Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Smaller Picture

Lately I have found myself in a funk.  It's a familiar one where I keep getting hung up on the "if only" and the "what if" and the "why".  I feel stuck as though no matter how hard I try, my life will never become what I once thought it would be or even what I now feel it should be.  I keep comparing myself to others and seeing how green the grass looks on the other side. 
You know how people tell you to look at the "big picture"? Well, I discovered that the only way to give myself the proverbial kick in the pants and get out of my funk was to do the opposite.  I decided to look at the "smaller picture"
The smaller picture is more individual.  It's different for everyone.  For me, it is three beautiful children who are intelligent, kind, and funny as all get out.  It's a hard working, loving husband who supports me everyday and believes in me even when I'm in my aforementioned funk.  My smaller picture is a roof over our heads, clothing on our backs, and food on our table.  It's me progressing in my education.  It's cuddling up on the couch at the end of the day with my favorite person in the world and dozing off to some action movie that I've already seen fifty times.  It's a healthy family. 
No matter what is going on in the rest of the world or what outside influences are getting me down, I can look at my smaller picture and be reminded of what really matters. 
So long funk.  I'm in my happy place. 

5 comments:

Cary and James said...

Great post, Ashley. The grass always looks greener on the other side, but in truth, it rarely is.
Love you, Cary. =)

Amanda and Ryan said...

Isn't it silly how we always compare?
I think you have a great life Ashley!
You are right, your kids are amazing and bright! I was hoping I would get to practice taking their photos one day ...wink, wink ;)
And like Cary said Love you!!!
Amanda

Unknown said...

I love the title of this post. It's true, the big picture gives me anxiety, and the smaller picture makes me feel lucky and blessed. I think I'm gonna go write that down in my journal now!

Megan D. said...

Thanks Ashley! that's just what I needed to hear today. :)

Ishihara Family said...

Cavett says that the grass may be greener on the other side but you know what is under that greener grass....a bunch of sh**, or manure! That is what makes the grass green! heheheehe Hang in there you are an awesome mom and an amazing woman!