Monday, May 23, 2011

WW Update

If anyone is actually reading this blog, you've probably noticed that I haven't really posted much about weight watchers lately.  Why, you ask? Mostly because nothing is really happening with it.  I'm uber frustrated with my lack of progress and blogging about it just makes it worse.  Let me explain the situation.

As most of you know, I've done Weight Watchers before with tremendous success, losing an average of 1 to 2 pounds per week.  Last fall, Weight Watchers changed their program.  It's still a points program, but now the points are calculated differently.  They used to be based on calories, fat, and fiber.  Now they are calculated using fat, fiber, protein, and carbohydrates.  Fresh fruit is 0 points and so are most vegetables.   For some reason, my body doesn't seem to be responding to this new plan.  I sort of yo-yo back and forth between losing and gaining, even when I'm tracking everything and staying within my limits and getting in my exercise.  I've now been doing the plan for 4 months and have lost a whopping total of 4 pounds!  Not exactly great results. 

So, I've decided to terminate my membership, mostly because I can't justify paying $40/month for something that's not working for me.  I'm trying to round up all the old points lists and tools so that I can follow the old plan on my own.  I'm hoping that combining the old points system with my current workouts will give me some better results. 

I'll keep doing my favorite Denise Austin DVD (which I've totally slacked on lately, but I did do it tonight) and I've been dabbling in running lately.  Yes, you read that right.  Any of you who've known me a long time will know that I don't run.  I've never really enjoyed it.  But I was doing a lot of walking and I'd find myself feeling the urge to run.  It was like my body was telling me to just let it go, so I did.  I started with short intervals of running and walking and last Friday I actually ran 2 miles with no walking involved whatsoever.  I know 2 miles really isn't much for a seasoned runner, but for me it's monumental!  I've never in my whole life run that far.  It felt pretty good.  So I figure I'll run 3 to 4 times per week and do my DVD at least 3 times per week and hopefully that combined with the old eating plan will kick things into gear.  

P.S. If anyone has good suggestions for running music, I'd love to hear them!  Right now I mostly use the Pandora radio on my phone, which sometimes is great and sometimes I'm skipping songs left and right.  I want to get an i-pod or something to download some music on specifically for my running workouts. 

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Ashley,
I've been doing WW also. I don't really like the new plan either. I've been doing it for almost 2 months and I've actually gained. It's only half a pound, but it's still frustrating, so I know how your feeling. I like to listen to the Glee CD's. I put them all on my ipod and some of those songs really get me running. Hope this helps.
Amanda

Natalie said...

I am not a runner either. I don't mind running for a reason, like basketball or softball or raquetball or something but running just to run has never enticed me much. But, me and Heidi have decided to be running buddies and I don't hate it AS much. Maybe it's cause it's now my only alone time :)

P Woodland said...

I like running to mortal kombat songs. really upbeat if you like to be pushed.