Saturday, October 8, 2011

My first group run

This morning I went on my first official group run.  I have always run by myself, with the exception of the one 5K run I did this summer.  So when our Ragnar team captain invited me to go with him down to the Salt Lake Running Company's group run this morning I figured it would be a good idea. 
The run started at the SLRC store on 700 East and went to Liberty park, then a lap or two around the park and back to the store.  There were probably about 10 of us there to run.  They split us up into pace groups and had one staff member assigned to each group to run with them.  I was, of course, in the slowest group.  Ours was the 10,11, or 12 minute mile group.  It was me, a girl from the staff, a woman in her 50's and a 76 year old lady.  
It was nice to have someone to talk to for part of the run.  I say 'part' because they all turned around after about 1.5 miles.  My total mileage was somewhere between 6.5 and 7 miles.  I didn't take my phone with me and I didn't have a watch, so I don't really know my time.  I did 2 laps around Liberty Park and then headed back to the store.  Even most of the faster group only did one lap around the park, so my ride had to wait a while for me.  It was nice to have some new scenery on my run and the weather was nice and cool, but not rainy.
Maybe eventually I'll get to a pace where my group run will actually be with a group. But I'm giving myself props for even going at all.  Being around all those "serious" runners who are super skinny and wearing all their special running gear is a bit intimidating.  I think they were all surprised when I actually went the distance with no walking and without turning around early with my group.  I may be slow, but at least I go.  

4 comments:

Natalie said...

Good job!!

Unknown said...

Whatever Ashley, I'm sure you're doing fine!! Just think of where you were last October, and what you're doing now and you won't feel slow(not that I thought you weren't doing anything last year, lol).
I've been actively running for 2 1/2 years now, and I'm just now getting at a pace where I like, and it's not even impressive. Of course, there are always going to be girls wearing thir tight, hotpink bra-shirts with headbands that say 26.2 and waterbelt things, but I don't care. They probably don't have kids, or stress in their lives. Most people can't even run 1 mile, and I think it's amazing that you have the drive to run 7. Can't wait to see you next week! (holy cow, I can't believe it's next week.)

Cary said...

Nice! It's all about getting out there and doing it! Good for you and GOOD LUCK at Ragnar! Can't wait to hear all about it!!

Grandma Lolly said...

I'm so proud of you! You have worked so hard and are doing fantastic! Don't let ANYBODY intimidate you! Just keep it up! I need to follow your great example. I love you!

--Mom