Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Easter/Conference Weekend

We'll start with Easter. Ours was really nice and quiet this year. The weather was cold and snowy...yes, snowy. Don't even get me started on that one.
Anyway...on Saturday, the kids and I went up to my mom's for a little Easter egg hunt and some lunch. We had to look for the eggs and goodies in the basement because it was so cold outside. The kids had lots of fun gathering up their treasures. Once Jayne got the hang of it, she was putting everything in her bag, and I mean everything. Although, I think Aunt Rachel and Uncle Kaleb might have helped her a bit. =)

Jayne and her collection
Jonah and Lilly showing me their treasures.

The kids were so excited to find their Easter baskets on Sunday morning. I didn't really get many pictures, just a couple.
The girls in their matching spring outfits that the Easter Bunny brought.



What I really loved about Easter this year was talking to my kids about why we celebrate it. They must have asked me a zillion times and I really enjoyed being able to share with them the story of our Savior's Resurrection over and over again. I'm so grateful for my testimony of Him.

So, I guess that brings me to conference. On Saturday morning, Jonah reminded me that it was "conference day." I had a bunch of things to do and my radio wasn't working, so I turned it on the TV and listened to as much as I could. Jonah, on the other hand, sat right down on the couch and watched intently. Lilly would come into the room and ask him to come play, to which he would reply, "I can't Lilly. I gotta watch conference."
"Why?"
"Because it's important"
"Why is it important?"
"Lilly, this man just said 'jaws of death'. I think that's really important."
I had to chuckle when I overheard that conversation. But I was really impressed with Jonah's desire to listen to conference. He even requested to eat his lunch in the living room so that he wouldn't miss any.
Oh, and don't worry. He got more out of it than the jaws of death. Later that afternoon, when my sister asked him what he learned from conference, he said that he learned about Jesus and his sacrifice for us. It's so wonderful to see my children growing their own little testimonies.

Nate and I watched the Sunday sessions of conference together. I made little conference packets and bingo cards for the kids. Jonah and Lilly sat reverently through the entire 2 hours of the morning session.

It's amazing how every conference always feels so personal. It's like that particular speaker was thinking of me when they prepared their talk. A few of the things that I took away from this conference were:
  • the value and responsibility that I have as a mother
  • the need to show more mercy and understanding and less judgment
  • a renewed dedication to my daily scripture study and prayers
There was so much more, but those are the few that stood out to me in my life right now. I'm excited to read all of the talks in the next Ensign or on the computer soon.

Sunday evening, Nate's sister Amanda came over to visit. She was up from Las Vegas visiting a couple of her mission friends that live in Provo. It was so fun to visit with her and to watch her play with the kids. Jayne especially loved climbing all over her and playing with her. Thanks Amanda for making us part of your trip. We loved having you!

So, that was our weekend. It was busy, but full of family, love, inspiration, and peace. What more could you ask for?

No comments: