Saturday, May 22, 2010

Are we done with soccer yet?

Jonah asked me that question today. He's not really liking the soccer as much as I'd hoped he would. Nate says Jonah is just not the sports type, which is fine. I just wish I'd figured that out $40 and four weeks of freezing cold games and practices ago.
To answer the question, No, we are not done yet. He has two more games next Tuesday because of a rain out this last week. He got his participation trophy after his game today. Come Tuesday we may just "forget" we have soccer at all. =)
No, that wouldn't be teaching him the right thing. Gotta finish what you start, you know.
He's been doing progressively better at his games. There have been slightly fewer "Jonah" moments. It hasn't helped that every game but one has been played in the cold and the wind and the rain. Note to self, no more spring soccer.
Man, my parents must have been saints to sit through so many of my games. Although my dad wasn't usually sitting. He liked to kinda coach from the sidelines. I played soccer from kindergarten until 9th grade. Some years I played year round. I remember liking playing in the rain. It was more fun that way. Now I'm on the other side and watching soccer in the rain is not nearly as fun as playing soccer in the rain.
Anyway, I thought I'd post a couple pictures of our little soccer player, seeing as how he probably will never play again.
On the field. Can't you just see the joy of the sport in his expression?

Here he is with his Trophy. After he got a trophy, he went on and on about how glad he was that I signed him up for soccer because he'd never had a trophy before. I don't think he was glad when he slipped in the mud today.

Here's to trying new things and learning in the process. Maybe he'd like karate....

1 comment:

Amanda and Ryan said...

At least he (and you) gave it a shot. He looks handsome in his soccer uniform :)