Thursday, May 6, 2010

Tonsils, Soccer, and School

Hey all! I've been kind of absent from the blogging world for a couple of weeks. But now I'm back and get to tell you all about WHY I've been absent from the blogging world for a couple of weeks.
Let's start with the tonsils.
Nate had his tonsils removed two weeks ago. He's always had trouble with them. They were huge and always getting infected, so we finally decided to take the plunge and take 'em out! While the doctor was doing the surgery, he found a big mass of adenoidal tissue in Nate's sinuses that wasn't supposed to be there. So he took that out too. I'd always heard that a tonsilectemy is a lot harder on an adult than a child and now I KNOW what they're talking about. Nate's had a tough recovery. He started back at work this week. He's supposed to be on light duty, no heavy lifting, but I think we all know how that worked out.
Last Friday the doctor's office called to tell us that they had gotten the results of the culture they did on Nate's tonsils. Can you say "massively infected with a really nasty bacteria?" The best part is that this infection has probably been there for a long time. He's been on antibiotics several times in the last six months or so, but they obviously had no effect on this bad boy. So the doctor prescribed two Z-packs which are supposed to be stronger and wipe out the infection. The doctor said that the tonsils were so saturated with this bacteria that he's sure the bacteria is still in the rest of the tissue in Nate's throat. Poor guy has had a rough couple of weeks.
He also started his last class this week. And when I say 'last' I really mean LAST! As long as he passes with a C or better, Nate will finally be done with his BA.
Speaking of classes, guess who is officially going back to school as of May 17th? Yep. Me! I'm so excited to be finally getting back into it and finishing my Bachelor's. I'll be completing a Family Life Studies degree completely online through Utah State. I have my associates degree and about six classes of the major finished already. I'm starting out with just two classes so as not to overwhelm myself. Hooray for education!
So, what's left? Oh yeah. Soccer. I signed Jonah up to play soccer through the Magna Rec Center youth sports program. It said that the program was 8 games long, so I figured that would be about two months. Turns out that they play two games a week. So Jonah's already almost half way done. He had a hard time his first game. He would get frustrated so easily because he was not getting the ball as much as he wanted and he'd throw his little tantrums. So we had a nice long talk about how soccer is a team sport and he needs to help his team and how crying and stomping off the field was not helping his team. He finally caught on to the fact that even though he didn't score the goal his team did and that's a good thing. If the team wins, he wins. He did better the last couple games.
They have games on Tuesday nights and Saturday mornings and then practices on Thursday nights. He does better on Saturday mornings. I think because he's pretty tired by Tuesday evening. And, no I don't have any cute pictures of him in his uniform. I know, bad mother moment. I'll have to get on that.
So, there you have it. That has been our lives for the last couple of weeks. What have you been up to?

3 comments:

Nick and Tanya and Family said...

I have to say I feel for Nate. I was 20 when they took my tonsil out, and it was a long recovery. The Doc told me I would be out of work for 4 weeks, but I did not believe him so I went back after 2, big mistake, I did end up being out of work the last two weeks as well. I know soccer is crazy with 2 games a week and a practice and we thought what a great idea it would be to put abbi in she has been watching her brother for years! Big mistake she hates it.
Good luck on school

THE CASPERSON'S said...

Wow, you have have been busy. It is no fun when your husband gets sick. That is great you can finish your degree online. I sure wish I stayed with school. Sounds like you are going to be very busy. Good luck in your studies.

Emilee said...

Good luck with school. I have gone back too, and as odd as it sounds I almost feel like I study more than when I went before. I just remind myself that if I don't get the best of grades it isn't the end of the world because I still have my teo kids who are my world. It helps alot with the stress. E Shaw