Tuesday, August 31, 2010

What do I do?

As most of you know, my son Jonah just started 1st grade a couple of weeks ago. He's a very bright kid, but I really didn't understand how bright until I met with his teacher last week. She informed me that he had already passed off ALL of his 1st grade flashcards. She said that he basically already knows everything that they will be learning in 1st grade this year. When I asked what we should do with that, she said that she would do her best to keep him busy with customized spelling and reading lists and other assignments. But I know that will be hard because she's already got an entire classroom of students that she needs to teach things that he already knows.
Then, when I checked his backpack this morning, I noticed a note that said that he had passed his accelerated reading test with a score of over 90% ON THE 5TH GRADE LEVEL!
I would be lying if I didn't say that I was proud as a peacock, but I'm also a bit worried. When I ask him what he's done at school, he always says "boring stuff." Jonah loves learning new things, so when he says this, it tells me that he's not learning anything new. And I worry that, with all of his classmates working on things that he already knows, his education is going to suffer. I wonder if I need to find a school for him where he can be around kids who are on the same level that he is. His elementary school says they have a gifted track, but it doesn't start until 2nd grade.
So I'm looking for advice. What would you do? Do you know of any good schools for accelerated learners in the Salt Lake Valley that I should look into?

HELP!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Ashley,

I wonder why they didn't have Jonah tested for the accelerated reading class. That is where Adelle ended up this year. It is in Fox Hills Elementary and it is a class designed for kids who are ahead in their reading skills and other areas. There was testing involved at the end of last year. Perhaps you could call the Gifted and Talented Program to see if there is anything that can be done now. 385-646-4620. Good Luck ..Let me know how it goes!

Unknown said...

You are doing the right thing in asking for advise. You have the difficult task of balancing his social development with an accelerated learning development. You should earnestly pray and fast that the Lord will help guide you through the myriad of advise you may receive. It is a crazy noisy world that can distract us from the soft whisperings of a loving Father who knows all that Jonah is capable of. I have confidence you will find and follow the right path for him.

Tina said...

My sister had all of her kids go to a "gifted" sort of school out in West Jordan. I don't know of the name off hand, but can find out. All of her kids were little smarty pants, and really enjoyed going there. She actually has two of her boys still going there. One that just started 1st grade.

Deborah said...

That is awesome!!! I don't know of anything but I would try and find something wheather it is another school or you doing lessons from home or trying to help him make it through 1st grade then start the gifted in 2nd grade. My older brother was an advance learner and was always bored in class and they just sort of stopped carring because it was so easy and didn't graduate(later got his GED) but still. Not that that will happen with Jonah.

Camille said...

As I read your blog post, I thought "like mother, like son"!! I'm not a mom yet, so I don't know first hand, but my initial reaction was the same as Natalie's on Facebook, maybe look into some type of charter school. I know the one in Ogden is always doing neat extracurricular activities and things that sound interesting even as an adult! I know it sounds cliche, but make sure you pray about it. I know between your motherly intuition and those quiet promptings, you'll know which option is right for him. Good luck!!