Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Words of the Prophet

This weekend has been General Conference.  Somehow, my schedule was free enough that I got to listen to all four sessions.  
Lately I've been in need of a spiritual renewal.  I've felt tired and down and just frustrated with life in general.  It's amazing how the speakers are inspired to deliver messages that we all need, but that can seem so personal and specific.  

This Conference, nearly every talk felt directed toward me. As I'm sure it did for so many others. I strongly felt the Lord telling me that He is aware of me and my needs and that He believes in me and is there to comfort and uplift and guide me.  
These are a few of the highlights for me and what I got from a few of the talks.

"Enormous blessings come on the heels of great trials." ~ Paul V. Johnson of the Seventy


Elder David A. Bednar's talk on revelation helped me realize that I don't need to know everything right now.  I just need to take one step at a time with faith in the path that the Lord has for me.  


President Thomas S. Monson, our wonderful prophet, spoke about the importance of temples.  I was touched at the sacrifices that some latter day saints have to make in order to attend the temple.  And I was ashamed that I live so close to several temples and don't attend nearly as often as I should.  President Monson remarked that sacrifice is always associated with temple building and temple attendance.  For me, the sacrifice is making the time and getting the babysitter so that we can attend the temple regularly. 
I was reminded of something my in-laws recently told me.  They said that couples should "make going to the temple together a weekly habit, not a weak habit."  


Elder Richard G. Scott's talk was so very touching.  I could feel the love he has for his wife and his reverence for the institution of marriage.  He said that "Righteous love is the foundation of a successful marriage."  I loved hearing about the creative ways that he and his wife would show their love for each other.  


Elder D. Todd Christofferson helped me learn that the Lord knows what He wants me to be and He knows what I need to get there.  I'm inspired to be more humble and accepting of divine chastening.  


Lately, I've struggled a bit with tithing.  We've always paid it, but my attitude about it has not been the best.  I often find myself thinking of other things that money could have been used for.  Carl B. Pratt of the Quorum of the Seventy must have read my mind and heart.  He taught that tithing is not to be paid from abundance or leftovers.  It should always come first.  Tithing is not a financial principle.  It is a principle of faith.  I need to have faith that the Lord will fulfill His promises that He has made to those who pay their tithing. 


I truly felt the Spirit throughout conference, even when my kids were being less than reverent or climbing all over me.  I'm so grateful for the Gospel of Jesus Christ and for all that I have been blessed with.  I'm grateful for our living prophet and apostles and for the spirit of revelation that is so alive and well today. 

3 comments:

Ishihara Family said...

Thanks Ashley for sharing your thoughts on conference. We were taught great principles this weekend and I with you feel so blessed to have been able to listen to the words of our great leaders. It's fun to hear what others take away from each meeting and how we hear exactly what we need for each of us. Thanks again for sharing your testimony! You are awesome!

Jill Skouson said...

I love this post! Thanks for sharing what you got out of conference :) I wasn't home this weekend so I'm catching on conference a little bit at a time on my DVR. I'm excited to get to the talks you mentioned here.

Grandma Lolly said...

Ashley-- You are such an inspiration to me! And you say things just right. Thanks for sharing your testimony and your feelings so openly. Makes a mother proud! I love you!