Monday, September 27, 2010

Halloween! What are you gonna be?

My kids are constantly changing what they want to be for Halloween. Usually, I wait until the last minute and end up with some cheap costume. Last year I got lucky and my mom sewed Lilly's princess costume, and Jonah used a dinosaur costume that my mom had made for my older brother when he was Jonah's age,

and my sister bought a cute ladybug fairy costume for Jayne.

I love it when other people do all the work for me! But this year, I've decided that I'm going to be remarkably ambitious, for me that is. I am not really a crafty person. I did make my costume last year, which was "cloudy with a chance of showers",
but that consisted of tacking some cotton stuffing onto some fabric--doesn't exactly require much talent or effort.
Anyhoo, this year Jonah and Lilly have told me what they want to be and I'm totally sticking them to it. Jonah would like to be a robot and Lilly wants to be a bat, pink of course. I've got word that my grandma already bought a really cute little angel costume for Jayne for her birthday, so she's taken care of.
I've been looking for ideas on how to make the robot and bat costumes. Here is a picture of a robot one that I really like.
I love that its made out of a plastic container that won't be all beat up after a couple of times wearing it and I just think it's darn cute! I might just cover Jonah's bike helmet in some tin foil for the hat. I think he'd be more comfortable in that than with a pot on his head.
Then I found this fun bat costume made out of an umbrella.

I'm thinking I'll try to do something similar to it for Lilly. If I can't find a pink umbrella, we'll just do the pink feathery boa around the edges and make her ears pink. She's so funny. What she officially wants to be is a "pink princess bat" so we might have to put a tiara in the mix somewhere.

Wish me luck! I'm about to go down the road of "do-it-yourself" and there's a good chance I might not make it.

3 comments:

Amanda and Ryan said...

I love your costume ideas!
And if I was a little girl again I would steal your pink bat princess costume!
Can't wait to see the photos!

Missy said...

Those are cute good luck your very talented I'm sure you will do great!!

Rachel said...

I say put an ice cream bucket on Jonah's head... I mean it totally worked for Kalebs transformer costume... hahaha....