Thursday, December 30, 2010

Let's Play Christmas Catch-up

Thanks to our busy December, I've been pretty M.I.A. as far as the blog is concerned.  Now that the hustle and bustle is dying down, I figured I'd better get things posted before I get too busy again.  So this post will cover three or four different outings/events.  

Temple Square Lights

A couple weeks ago, before all this crazy snow, my mom, sisters, the kids and I visited Temple Square in Salt Lake City to see the Christmas lights.  We started with some dinner and then enjoyed walking around.  The kids loved the fountains the best, as usual.  They each brought a couple of pennies so they could throw them in a fountain. 
Aunt Sarah, Grandma Laurie, Aunt Rachel and the kids


One of the many fountains that we had to stop at, and stop the kids from jumping into. 
Lilly insisted on having her picture taken in this spot.  I tried to get her to move so that we wouldn't have the fabulous view of the donkey's rear end, but she wouldn't cooperate. 

The Mormon Tabernacle Choir with David Archuleta and Micheal York

A friend of ours who moved out of state had received four tickets to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir's Christmas concert featuring David Archuleta and Micheal York.  At the last minute, she and her husband weren't able to make the trip, so she called us and asked if we'd like to have her tickets.  We went with a couple of our friends. It was a wonderful concert!  We were sure to get there early, over an hour early actually.  It was a good thing though, apparently there were hundreds of people with tickets who couldn't get in because they weren't there early enough.  
The choir was amazing, as always.  I'm not a huge David Archuleta fan, but he's very likable and has an amazing voice.  He did a wonderful job.  I really enjoyed the telling of the story of the tabernacle choir by Micheal York.  I'd never known the history of the choir and he made it feel like an enchanting tale.  Another highlight of the concert were the bell ringers.  During my senior year of high school, our choir director managed to acquire a set of hand bells for us to learn to use for Christmas.  They are so fun to play, but they definitely require a lot of practice and the way these bell ringers at the concert were playing them was wonderful!  
It was a great night.  Thank you Erika for thinking of us.  This concert was the highlight of my Christmas season this year!


Christmas with the Barnums
Nate's parents and sisters were in town the weekend before Christmas.  We enjoyed having dinner together and opening presents.  And the kids had a blast playing with Aunt Emily, Aunt Amanda, and Grandma.  As one of our Christmas presents, we got a port-a-potty.  It's meant to inspire us to camp more, since Lilly is deathly afraid of outhouses.  Each of the kids had to sit on it and smile for the camera. 


Christmas Eve and Christmas Day
We spent Christmas Eve at my mom's house with all my brothers and sisters and my Grandma Bennett.  It was a fun night, albeit short, full of delicious food and laughter.  My mom asked if my family would do the nativity this year.  Lilly was Mary, Jayne was the Angel, Nate was Joseph, Jonah was a wise man and I was the narrator.  We had to recruit my sister, Sarah, to be a shepherd.  It was a less than perfect telling of the Christmas story, but it was fun to watch.  
Lilly aka Mary
Our Angel Jayne
Nate helped our Angel take flight to make the scene more realistic. =)
Jonah, the wise man
All the kids got new "softies" or blankets from Grandma Great.
Lilly giving the camera some "Chubby Bunny" love.

About a week ago, Jonah asked me if we could do something special on Christmas morning.  He said that before we open any presents, he wanted us to kneel down together as a family and say a prayer to thank Heavenly Father for sending us the gift of His son, Jesus Christ.  Isn't it amazing how a 6 year old can put things in perspective for you?  So on Christmas morning, we did just that.  Before any gifts were opened, we had a family prayer to give thanks to the Lord for sending His son to Earth.  
The kids loved all their goodies from Santa.  
Jayne the pirate with her pillow pet.  I think she was still a bit groggy.
Lilly and her unicorn pillow pet.
Jonah's jellyfish lamp. 
All the kids got books from Cathy and Loron.
A few years ago we started our strict "stay-at-home-on-Christmas-day" policy.  It's been our favorite tradition.  We don't go anywhere.  If family wants to, they can come see us, but we spend our day at home.  The kids get to play with all of their new toys and Nate and I get to just relax.  Then in the evening, we take a drive to find Christmas lights together.  This year, we decided to make a turkey dinner for Christmas.  Nate took over the turkey and it turned out so delicious!  I've informed him that it will have to be a new tradition, Daddy's Turkey on Christmas Day.  He says he's up for it and wants to try new recipes every year. 


Well, I think that's about it.  We had a wonderful Christmas and we hope all of you did too! 
 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed the concert! I was trying to figure out who to give them to and after a couple of days I realized that your name kept popping into my head over and over again. I'm really glad they got there in time, too. That was a close one! Glad you had a Merry Christmas!

Shiree said...

I like your policy. I think I will adopt it when we move back to UT.