Friday, December 31, 2010

Farewell 2010

In just a few short hours the year 2010 will fade into the past.  I've found myself reflecting on this past year a lot lately.  I'm not sure why.  New Year's usually isn't a big deal for me.  It's just another day.  But this year, I've been trying to recognize my blessings and focus on the positive and what I have rather than the negative and everything that I wish I had.  
In my pondering I realized something.  We had a very good year.  Yes, it had its challenges, but it was also filled with blessings. 
  • Nate got his tonsils and adenoids removed this year.  He used to get very sick all the time and he'd always just work through it without complaint.  He'd go to work with walking pneumonia because he knew we needed the paycheck.  Finally being able to get his huge, infected tonsils taken out has resulted in hardly any illness this year.  Even his allergies are less severe.  
  • I went back to school.  In May I enrolled at Utah State University in their online family studies program.  Completing my bachelor's degree has always been a goal of mine, one that was put on the back burner when we got married and started our family.  It feels amazing to be on that path again and making it happen.  I love learning and progressing toward achieving one of my life's goals.  
  • Nate completed his bachelor's degree in August.  What a feat that is!  It's a very long story, one I'm sure I've blogged about before.  This achievement has been years in the making, with plenty of challenges and biased professors standing in the way.  I'm so proud of  Nate for seeing it through.  
  • Nate started a new job with Verizon Wireless at the end of September.  On days like today, when the snow is pouring down and the wind is relentless, I'm so grateful that he's not spending the day changing tires.  Also, my bathtub is no longer black and our house doesn't smell like rubber.  Always a plus.  
  • The kids have been healthy and injury free.  We've had the odd cold or ear infection, but nothing major.  All three kids are thriving.  They love to explore their world, learn, and make new friends.  
There are plenty of other blessings and wonderful things that we experienced in this year of 2010, but those are the major ones.  As we say good bye to a year full of personal and family growth, we can only be optimistic about what lies in store for us in 2011.  
Happy New Year!  May it bring with it peace, hope, love, and adventure!


2 comments:

Amanda and Ryan said...

Very nice post Ashley!
Happy New Year to you and your family!

Cary and James said...

Sounds like it was a good year for the Barnum Family! Congratulations on taking the initiative to go back to school, it's a big step and I'm sure no small feat when you have three small children! Can't wait to see what 2011 has in store for you all! xoxo