Monday, December 13, 2010

My Favorite Holiday Treat

To me, Christmas is synonymous with delicious treats!  Every year while I was growing up, my mom would make cookies, divinity, fudge, and my favorite...caramels at Christmastime. 
I have such fond memories of sitting in front of a Christmas TV special or listening to Christmas music while sitting at the kitchen table cutting and wrapping caramels to give as gifts to neighbors and friends.  It always seemed to take quite a few batches to have enough to go around.  That probably had something to do with us having more than our share of "tastes" during the wrapping process. 
 I remember one Christmas when my mom had made her caramels early and put them in large popcorn tins out in the storage room that was in the garage.  I thought I was so sneaky going out there when no one was around and having one or two caramels.  I figured that she had made so many, she'd never notice just a few missing.  Little did I know that my dad and older brother had both been doing the same thing.  My mother was none too happy when she went to pull out the caramels and there were only a few remaining.  Now that I've made them myself, I can totally understand her frustration. 
I never fully appreciated the effort that this particularly delicious little morsel of joy requires until I was all grown up and decided to make them myself.  Ever since Nate and I got married, I've made caramels for Christmas.  I make other treats, sure, but caramels are by far my favorite. 

So what's your favorite holiday treat? 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Fudge!!! I never have it any other time of year but Christmas. I want your homemade carmals recipe!

Jill Skouson said...

Probably homemade sugar cookies with frosting!