Friday, April 17, 2009

Happy April 17th!

Today, April 17th, is a very special day for me. Seven years ago today, I was living at home with my mom and sisters and attending Weber State University. It was a snowy spring day, like we've had lately, and I'd been at classes all day. As soon as I walked in the door, the phone rang. It was Nate, a guy who I'd met several years before as a 15 year old at the Manti Pageant, lost touch with, and then started writing to while he was on his mission. (It's a long story. If anyone wants more details, they'll have to ask.) He had been home from his mission for exactly one week, was in town with a friend and wanted to stop by and needed directions. I about dropped that phone! I gave the directions and asked how long until he would be there and he said probably 20 minutes. So I dashed to the bathroom to try to rescue my wet hair and dripping makeup only to hear a knock at the door five minutes later. I opened it up, and there was my future looking back at me. Two weeks later, we were engaged. Eight weeks after that we were married. The rest is Barnum history! So every year I celebrate April 17th as a day that changed my life in unimaginable ways and started this amazing journey that we're on.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That is so sweet! I love that you celebrate the day he called you. Perhaps I should start celebrating the day Wes e-mailed me! You'd have to ask.

Unknown said...

CUTE STORY!! I didn't know you were engaged/married that fast. It makes us seem okay. We were engaged after 3 weeks, and married after 4 months. Fun story! I guess when you know, you know!

Tina said...

SO sweet! Isn't it funny that we remember those days! I know I do! It was fun to hear that story again! THanks for sharing! :)