Friday, November 13, 2009

My Voice is Heard Again!


I don't know if any of you remember, but a couple weeks ago my cell phone decided to mute me. Apparently it thought I wasn't worth listening to. So anyone who tried to call me couldn't hear me on the other end. I heard them just fine, but apparently I was in a silent movie and the subtitles just weren't texting through or something.

Anyhoo....I put off getting a new phone until the next payday for obvious reasons. Yesterday I decided it was time. So I headed to the AT&T store to see what they had. Nate and I haven't been under contract for almost a year, so I knew I should be able to get a pretty good deal if we renewed a 2 year contract. The salesman at the store was very polite. He showed me what they had. The cheapest thing, even with a new contract, was going to cost $80 in store and then I'd get a $50 rebate in the mail in 6-8 weeks. I told him I didn't have $80 to spend and instead of trying to pressure me into it, he told me that I could go to Walmart and buy an AT&T Go Phone, which is their pay as you go version, and just put my SIM card into it and I'd be good to go. So I headed over to Walmart.

Their cheapest Go Phone was $30. I was about to buy it when I noticed that they had an entire row of AT&T phones and two of them had prices of $0 with a new or renewed contract. So I asked the sales lady if that was the in store price or if there was a rebate involved. She said that was the in store price. All we had to do was renew our 2 year contract, keep the same plan, pay an upgrade fee of $18 and we could each get a new phone for free! Yippee!

They had two different phones shown as free. One was red, but looks reddish pink, and one was blue and black. Nate of course wanted the blue and black because he wouldn't be caught dead with a "pink" phone. It's really more red than pink, but whatever. They were all out of that model. So he chose a Motorola phone that was $18 with the new contract. So, my phone ended up costing $18(the upgrade fee) and Nate's was $36 including the upgrade fee. Not too bad. They're much nicer phones than the prepaid one that was $30 and we really don't mind signing a new contract.

Now I've just got to figure out how to use the thing. It's not that it's super fancy or anything. It's actually pretty basic. It's just that I'm not so good with technology. I think I've figured out how to make calls and send texts and that's about all I ever use. A whole big instruction book came with the phone that tells me that I can download all my music onto it and use it as a radio, and a whole bunch of other nifty stuff, but I highly doubt I'll ever do any of it. I like things simple. Simple is good.

So, to sum up...got a new phone...people can hear me now...Nate got a new phone too.....it didn't cost an arm and a leg...I can live with that.

No comments: