Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Church Volleyball

I've always enjoyed playing sports.  Among my favorites are soccer, volleyball, softball, and basketball.  I've never really excelled at any of them.  I played softball and soccer growing up, but never on the school teams or anything like that.  I've never quite developed the skill level for it.  That's why I love church sports! No one really cares about how good you are as long as you show up.  
This year I played volleyball with the women in our ward.  I really enjoyed it.  The games were always kind of late, around 9pm, but that worked for me because Nate was actually home to watch the kids so that I could go play. 
We did pretty good this year.  We were first in our stake, only losing one game and that was because we were one player short and had to forfeit. 
So last Saturday, we got to play in the region tournament.  Wow!  That was an eye-opener.  Our ward basically comes to have fun and we do have some talent, but we never had time to have real practices or anything like that.  The other teams that we played were very, very, very serious about volleyball.  We played three teams, two games each in three hours and lost every single one of them.  We did pretty good though, we didn't get totally clobbered, and we got better with every game.  I'll tell you one thing though, I was feeling muscles that I didn't know I had when I woke up the next day. 
And most important of all....we had a lot of fun!  So if your ward participates in sports, go for it.  Don't worry that you aren't a superstar.  Half the battle is getting enough people for a full team and you never know, you might learn something knew, make new friends, get some good exercise, and enjoy yourself. 
Thanks to all the wonderful women of the Parkside Ward who came out to play this year!  I really enjoyed hanging out and playing and getting to know you all a little better. 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

WHAT?! I swear we didn't have any sports going on when I lived there. How fun. A great get-away from the kids and time to chat it up with the other ladies,

The Barnum Family said...

Yeah, they don't really announce it much or anything. I played last year too, but we hardly ever even had enough women show up to be a full team. I hear we'll be starting basketball soon. I wish more women would get involved. It's a blast!

Ishihara Family said...

I hear you I totally found out I had muscles that had been neglected for years!! What fun though! Can't wait for next year!!