Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Happy (late) Birthday to Me!

Last Sunday, the 13th of September, was my 27th birthday. In honor of the occasion, I thought maybe I'd write about something that I really don't like to write about----ME! But, before that, I'd like to tell you about my wonderful birthday weekend!~
On Saturday night, Nate brought me home some birthday flowers after work and then took me out to celebrate.
We saw a movie, "Julie & Julia", and then went out to a late dinner at Buca di Beppo's. Nate doesn't like Italian food, so taking me there to eat was an extra sweet gesture! The movie was fabulous! I highly recommend it.The food was even more fabulous! They always give you TONS of food at Buca, so I got to savor the leftovers on Sunday and Monday as well. Yum!
On Sunday, Nate made me breakfast. This is a HUGE deal because we have 9:00 church and we all had slept in until 8:00. So in the midst of rushing to get all of us ready and out the door(which Nate helps out with every week), he found the time to make me some breakfast, and to make it look all pretty!
Nate had planned to take us all on a picnic for my birthday. Alas, the weather did not cooperate. We had a big thunderstorm that afternoon. So, we stayed home and just relaxed. We all took extra long naps (the best birthday present ever!), and just laid around enjoying each others company. Jonah was a little concerned that no one was coming over to "have fun" on my birthday. So he made sure that I got some candles in a cake that my mom and sister had brought the day before. He and Nate and Lilly all sang to me and the kids helped me blow out the candles. I must say, this birthday was one of my absolute favorites!

Now,about me... I was thinking about it, and I decided that most of you lovely people who read my blog either A) haven't seen me in a LOT of years or B) have only known me for a couple years or less. This excludes my immediate family, of course. So, I thought that I would share 27 fun facts about me, in honor of my 27th birthday. Okay, "fun" may be pushing it, but here I go.....

1) My mom was baking chocolate chip cookies when she went into labor with me. 27 years later and I've still got a horrible sweet tooth. I love anything that can pass for dessert!

2) I got married at the ripe young age of 19 and I'm not afraid to admit that I was too young and too naive.

3) My first "real" job was my senior year of high school at Office Max and lasted about 6 weeks. I quit so I could do the school play and have time for chamber choir. Well, actually I quit because I hated it.

4) As mentioned above, I was in choir all through school and in college. I was a vocal performance major at SUU and then at WSU.

5)I went to college for about 4 years, but didn't finish. I've got my A.S. and plan to one day go back and finish with a degree in something related to family studies or psychology.

6) I make the best chocolate chip cookies in the world! My sugar cookies aren't bad either.

7) I played soccer growing up. I started when I was in kindergarten and played until I was 15. I did it pretty much year round, doing indoor soccer for a couple winters.

8) I can understand Spanish pretty good, but I don't really speak it. Nate thinks it's funny that he can have a conversation with me where he's speaking Spanish and I'm speaking English.

9) I'm the 1st counselor in our ward's Primary Presidency. I've had the calling for almost two years. Before that, they only ever had me play piano or lead the choir---very different

10) I LOVE the TV series "Friends"! I've got all the seasons on DVD and could watch them over and over and over and over and over.....

11) I sort of teach piano. I've only got one student right now.

12) I love a good workout. My favorite way to de-stress is to go to the gym, turn on the ipod, and spend an hour on the elliptical machine.

13) My favorite/lucky number is 13

14) I love to play Scrabble, but I'm not very good because I don't get to play it often. Nate is not a fan of the game.

15) Laundry is my arch-enemy

16) I'm not crafty. I like to think that I could be if I REALLY tried, but that's probably not true.

17) I think that mail is a fabulous thing! Not e-mail, or texts, or facebook messages, I'm talking about real, postal mail. there's something so special about getting mail....

18) I value my sleep. I'm not a happy person when I'm not getting my sleep. My college roommates used to call me Grandma Ashley because I would go to bed at 9:00.

19) I'm an optimistic, look on the bright side, kind of person...........most of the time. =)

20) I have 3 beautiful children and don't plan on having any more

21) I love to travel, as long as it includes sleeping at a hotel (not in a tent), eating out, and not having to do dishes

22) My biggest pet peeve is parents who don't "parent" I could jump on my soapbox for hours on this topic, but I'll spare you all the lecture since none of you are in that category

23) I love the smell of fresh cut grass. It reminds me of those Saturday morning soccer games of my youth

24) I'm a sweater person. I love the chilly weather that lets me wear a sweater, but not a coat.

25) Places I've lived: North Ogden, Farr West, Ogden, Harrisville, Hooper, Las Vegas, St. George, Cedar City, Saratoga Springs, and now Magna

26) My favorite "non-chick" movie is Live Free or Die Hard.

27) I'm addicted to diet cola. It doesn't matter if it's pepsi or coke or generic, one little glass can brighten my day. I know.....it's sad. But, hey, isn't life about finding joy in the little things? =)

Well, if you're still reading....thanks for getting to know me a bit better.
Thanks to everyone who sent birthday wishes. I truly had a Happy Birthday!




5 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Late Birthday, Woman! I dind't know you were a vocal performance major. Gosh. Now I'm freaking out knowing that in Primary you were probably critiquing me everytime we sat by eachother during singing time... I'm glad I didn't know before because it would have made me nervous!
I'm glad you had a good day. Sometimes the best Birthdays are the ones when you get to take a nap.

Jill Skouson said...

I love your blog Ashley! It was fun reading the list of things about you.

Missy said...

Your blog is always so fun and cute to read love all the stories about you they were cute, remember when we use to play in my tree house when we were young with Jenny Anderson and playing softball?? those were the days! :) Hope you had a great birthday!

Tina said...

I feel bad I didn't wish you a Happy Birthday!! I so knew when it was....well...Happy Birthday!! Fun facts about you, love it!

Nick and Tanya and Family said...

Happy late birthday, and Thank you it was fun getting to know a little more about you!!!