Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The Infinite Wisdom of our Elementary School

It all started with a letter. About a week or so ago, Jonah brought home a letter from the school informing us of the "wonderful" news that they were creating a new kindergarten class in order to reduce class sizes. They would be talking kids from the 2 existing kindergarten classes to make the new one, which will be on a completely different track schedule. The letter stated that kids who did not have older siblings attending the school would be taken first, that would be us. The letter also went on and on about how we should volunteer for this "happy" change because our kids really don't care if we put them in a new class with new teachers and new kids because they're only 5 years old. It said that kids are really flexible at this age and that it wouldn't be a big deal for them. Do they not KNOW any 5 year olds?

Anyway, then they sent home a little paper asking us to check yes or no on whether we would want to move our child to the new class. I highly doubt anyone volunteered. No one wants to disrupt their kids schedule. They've been in school for 5 or 6 weeks now and have just gotten used to their teacher and made new friends.

So, what really bugs me about this is the timing. They've known that their 2 kindergarten classes were overloaded since last spring. If you're going to make a new class, why couldn't you get it done BEFORE the new school year started? I don't get it. People plan their lives around their kids' track schedules here. I know one family who has their vacations and things planned around it and now their child would miss a lot of school if put in this new class, which she was. I know her mom is trying to get her out of it. At the beginning of the year the school sent home a letter on attendance policy basically stating that the only good reason your child should ever miss school is if they are deathly ill, then they go and make this change which will probably result in kids missing school for vacations and other preplanned family activities.

Well, I'm sure you've guessed by now that we got the letter today telling us that Jonah has been "chosen" for the new kindergarten class, which starts next Monday. This means he won't be on track break in a few weeks, instead he'll be on until December. Not that he'll care about that.
Jonah just doesn't do well with change. I told him about the new class, trying to be all excited and upbeat about it, and he had a breakdown. He's very attached to his teacher and just made new friends. So, I thought if I could find out which other kids from his class are in the new class, it might make things easier for him because he would have some familiar faces to look forward to. I called the school and they so very politely(not!) informed me that they can't tell me which other kids are in Jonah's new class. They don't give out that information. WHAT?!!! At the beginning of school they had class lists posted on the front doors of the school for everyone to see, so why can't they tell me who will be in my son's class? ARGH!

Anyway, I just wanted to share this fun little experience with you all. I'm sure Jonah will adjust just fine. It will take a week or two of him being grumpy, just like at the beginning of school, and I'm sure there will be tears(there already have been), but we'll survive.
I'll keep you posted.

4 comments:

Megan D. said...

Oh man! That stinks! My mom is a teacher and she tells about all the insane things public schools are doing. I wish it could be a better system! Good luck with the change!

Tina said...

That is rotten. So sorry to Jonah, and you too! Hopefully they will learn from this be more prepared next time. Last SPring....and they didnt fix until now...that is messed up! SO sorry! :)

Amanda and Ryan said...

Don't you LOVE public education?!? Hope it goes okay:)

Jill Skouson said...

How frustrating! You would think they could have figured this all out before school started! I hope it all works out okay :)