Tuesday, October 27, 2009

I'm so sick of everyone being sick!

I was trying to think of something to blog about today, but the only thing that's been going on for us lately is that everyone is so stinkin' sick! So, I'm going to blog about that because it has consumed my life for 24 hours a day for the past 2 weeks.

Let's start with a little timeline. It all started with our flu shots.

Wendesday--- Nate and I take the kids and all of us get our flu shots. Jonah and Lilly also get the H1N1 flu mist. Later that night, Nate is starting to get a sore throat.

Thursday through Sunday---Nate just gets worse. He gets sick pretty easily this time of year and he never has time to just rest and get feeling better because for some reason it's okay for everyone else at work to call in sick whenever they want or just because they stayed up too late, but if Nate tries to call in sick(which he only does if he's 'dying-on-the-floor' sick) then they say that it's really 'inconvenient' for them and that they need him to be there no matter what. Sorry for that mini-rant, but it's driving me nuts!

Monday--Jonah wakes up with a fever and is complaining of a headache. I give him Tylenol and rest, but the fever persists until Tuesday afternoon.

Wednesday---Everyone seems pretty healthy. Jayne has her 1 year doctor appointment. We're crazy busy getting the ward activity done. Around midnight, Lilly wakes up with a fever of 102. Let the sleep deprivation begin!

Thursday---Lilly's fever comes and goes all day, Jonah is coughing now, Nate has developed a bunch of what we think are canker sores in his mouth and his glands in his throat are mega swollen. By Thursday Night, Jayne has joined the fever club. Nate and I are getting no sleep. Well, that's not fair. I think I got 3 hours and he got 2.

Friday---Both Jayne and Lilly have fevers and Jonah is still coughing. Nate's throat is worse and he's gotten a bunch more of those canker things.
Around 1:00 in the morning, Jayne wakes up with a cough that makes her stop breathing. Scares us to death. We're pretty much up with her and Lilly all night long.

Saturday---Nate tries to call in sick to work. He tells them that he's got 3 sick kids, one of which is having trouble breathing and that he's had no sleep and he needs the day off to get Jayne to the doctor and get some rest. What do they say? Yeah, you guessed it. "Well, we really need you here today Barnum. Can't your wife take care of that?" Can you tell that I'm a bit upset with Nate's boss lately? Thought so.

So, I call our pediatrician and get an appointment for Jayne that morning. I took all the kids in and the doc says they've all got croup which is basically laryngitis. With little kids it can constrict their airway so she gave us some steroids to give Jayne to help with that. Other than that, she said we just have to ride it out.

Nate got off work a little early Saturday afternoon and decided to go to urgent care to get those cankers looked at. He now had around 20 of them in his mouth and throat and his glands were swollen to the size of apples. The doc said they are viral ulcers and basically you just have to wait for them to go away. They can be caused by a million different things. They are extremely painful. He gave Nate a prescription
mouth rinse to help with the pain. Nate says it helps for about 30 seconds. Poor guy!

Saturday Evening---My mom and sister came and watched the kids to give Nate and I a much needed break. We attended a fun dinner at the home of some friends. Thanks Mom and Sarah! I think those couple of hours were the only sanity I've had for 2 weeks!

Sunday---Lilly was up all night the night before-still getting those high fevers off and on, mostly at night. So Nate and I had gotten no sleep again. I got up with the kids and decided to run to the church for primary just long enough to hand off the conducting clipboard that had all the info on it for the day. Yeah, that didn't work out the way I planned it. Our primary president's grandfather had passed away that morning, so she had to leave. We had program stuff to get ready and teacher interviews that had to be finished that day. So I stayed for the rest of the block. Then I came home for just long enough to make Nate some lunch and then head out to our presidency meeting. Also, I have to add in here that while I was gone, Nate cleaned up the house, did laundry, and took great care of the kids. He's so awesome! Love ya babe!

Sunday night was the same as all the other nights. Jayne and Lilly were both up coughing. We took them outside a bit to get some cold air to help the cough. Nate had to go to work on Monday, so I "slept" up on the couch so I could hear the girls and let him stay in bed.

Monday---Nate went to work with those ulcers still hurting and hardly any sleep. Jonah is pretty much better, just a slight cough. Lilly is coughing and crying every time she coughs because it hurts so much. Jayne is still coughing and being so incredibly clingy and fussy.

Today is Tuesday and I'm so tired I don't know what to do with myself. Keep in mind, that ever since Jayne first started getting sick she's been crying at me for most of the day, not wanting me to put her down, and not eating much. Today Jayne is still coughing. It's more of a phlegm-y cough. She slept better last night. Lilly is coughing and has such a hoarse little voice. She just keeps coming up to me and saying "Mommy, I hurt." Breaks my heart.

It can't last much longer, can it? I guess I should just be grateful that I've stayed well enough to keep up with it all. I have a sore throat, some headaches, and a very slight cough, but I'm pretty sure it will stay nice and mild.
So, there you have it. That's what's going on in my world. Anybody wanna trade?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

oh my WORD! Atleast you're not sick, can you even imagine how that would be? I hope you guys get feeling better and back to normal.

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry you guys have been SO sick. How frustrating that your hubby's work is being so stupid as well. I hope you all get better soon.

Missy said...

Oh my Ashley that is to bad I really hope they all get better soon and so you can get some sleep and not get sick as well, croup is a very scary thing, do you have to give Jayne breathing treatments those help brax so much good luck with everything and we will keep you in our prayers...