Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Kindergarten Drama is Resolved

Remember Jonah's new class? Well, it hasn't been working out so well. He complains of being bored and his teacher doesn't do snack time or show and tell, two kindergarten staples if you ask me. His teacher was always calling him by the wrong name and giving him super easy worksheets to do. I talked to his teacher about it last week and she informed me that Jonah tells her that he's bored, but there's really nothing she can do about it. Jonah was telling us that he didn't want to go to school anymore, he was grumpy and today he even cried when I asked him how his class was.
Being the concerned parents that we are, we contacted the school administration. I talked to the assistant principal, who was very kind, and explained the situation and our concerns. She said she would do an observation of Jonah's class and then call me back. She did her observation today and called me this afternoon. She said that after her observations and talking to some other people at the school, she agreed that Jonah should be moved back to Mrs. Anderson's class effective tomorrow. Hooray! Jonah was so excited when I told him the news. He's been asking to go back to Mrs. Anderson's class everyday since the change and he can't wait to go to school tomorrow.
And so the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I'm so glad that we spoke up about our concerns and that the administration was so quick and helpful in getting it resolved in the best interest of our child. Happy Day!





3 comments:

Camille said...

Hooray!!! Good job being the squeaky wheel! I'm so glad he'll be excited for school again. I can't imagine kindergarten without snacks or show & tell! Obviously, you were right on track if they agreed with you after the observation...I'm glad you got it resolved!

Unknown said...

I am so happy that it worked out for Jonah! That is wonderful!!! I am surprised that the teacher said there wasn't anything she could do to help challenge Jonah. That right there is a sign that something needs to be done.

Kandis said...

yay! I am sure Elle will be so excited when she comes home today to tell me that Jonah is back in class. I'm glad you talked to them....and I am so glad that I fought to not have Elle moved! HOORAY!