Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Is Summer Over Yet?


That is the question that has been posed to me several times in the last week by my 5 year old, Jonah. The poor kid hates summer vacation because he loves school. He's only been out of school for 2 weeks and he's already asking, on a daily basis, when school starts again. I do my best to keep him busy. We've already been to the zoo, wheeler farm, the park(several times), and even gotten out the little swimming pool and played in the water.

I'm also wondering how much I like summer anymore. Since he's been out of school, I feel like it's 10 times harder to get anything done. I didn't realize how much I relied on those three hours everyday when I only had two kids to drag around on errands or keep happy while I did housework. Now, the simplest thing is a huge inconvenience.

For example, a "quick" trip to the grocery store......First we have to make sure that EVERYONE is dressed, has used the bathroom(or had a diaper change), and gets their shoes on. This is particularly difficult with Lilly because she does not like to have her shoes on or to put on any clothes other than pajamas. After that, we all have to get buckled into the car. This one isn't so bad, it's just time consuming. Once we get to the store, the actual shopping consists of a lot of "stay by Mom", "No, not today", "It's too much money" and the inevitable "I'm hungry/thirsty/tired or I have to go to the bathroom". By the time we get what we needed, get everyone loaded back in the car, get home, and put the groceries away, I'm exhausted! I've tried going by myself in the evenings after Nate gets home, but for some reason, he always suggests that we all go together. Not that I don't LOVE my family, they are fabulous! But, when I go shopping by myself, I spend less time and money, and I feel just a little bit more sane after I get back. For some reason, Nate just doesn't get that. Anyway....Long of the short is that Jonah's not the only one who's counting down to when school is back in.

5 comments:

Amanda and Ryan said...

I feel for you and I only have the boys 3 days a week and there are no diapers, thank goodness. Look on the brightside, I know plenty of mommies that the daddies hate going to the store, consider yourself lucky! You are doing a great job!

Kandis said...

I hate to break it to you...but nope...it's not over! Did you get him registered?

Unknown said...

I miss summer :( Working full time is a drag! Listen to me whine on your blog. I can understand how hard it would be to manage the 3 kiddos. I can understand how much more relaxing it is to go shopping by yourself! That is what I did last Saturday while the rest of the family vegged at home. Keep your chin up though, before you know it Jonah will be starting Kindergarten.

The Barnum Family said...

Thanks Guys. I'm sure we'll get the hang of things and summer will end up being lots of fun.
I did get him registered Kandis. They wouldn't let me request a track or teacher, but I called yesterday and he's on D track, AM, with Mrs. Anderson. Is that the same as Elle?

mbbatch04 said...

I totally understand! I used to do all my errands while Gwen was at preschool. I miss it! I can't wait to get to Utah so I can have some help! =)